Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Well. It's been a while.

I've been at my new job 4 months now, and still love it. I spend my days designing ads and brochures and marketing displays and learning how to use software (indesign! photoshop! wordpress!). The people I work with and for are truly caring people and value my skills and experience and that makes all the difference in the world. I felt that way when I first arrived at Alaska magazine, but it slipped away as corporate took over and the good people left.

This was definitely a good move. Now I just have to figure out how to make those moves in my life without needing to be at crisis/breaking point. I need to recognize the signs and value my self enough to move on from situations before they take such a toll on my mental and physical health. (As I typed that I thought "Oh dear noodles, I've become my mother!" ha. But that's OK, I like my mom and I am learning the same lessons, just a bit faster than she did because I can see what she knows.).

My baby boy is getting ready to turn 7 and that is a bit shocking for me. He's lost both his front teeth and looks like a real kid now, not a baby at all any more. It's sad and cool at the same time.

I know some of you used to enjoy my Freelancing tips posts, and today, as I dealt with two different printing companies who surprised and exasperated me in turn, I discovered a whole new area of advice I can share:

Dear "professional" printing companies: Neither losing an estimate request nor ignoring the word "estimate" and telling me you misunderstood and it's already on the press schedule but you "might" be able to pull it, are good business models. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

knittergran said...

Yay! You're back!!!